About Us

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Evan is 7 (The In Between)

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. Isn't that the saying? I've been intending to write a post for Evan's 7th birthday, well, since he turned 7 at the end of May. I still need to take his 7 year photos, but those will have to come later when all our schedules align and the weather cooperates. In retrospect, waiting to write this post has given me a little more insight into the life of a 7 year old boy. Lately I have found myself thinking a lot about the huge changes I've seen in Evan. I subtitled this post "The In Between" because that's exactly how I'd describe Evan at 7.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

He's in between doing it all himself and wanting us to be part of (mostly) everything. Who is this boy who takes showers, ties his own shoes, jumps off the high dive, and rides a two wheel bike? Oh, there he is, the one who still snuggles up for a bedtime story, a ritual we set practically the very first day we brought him home.





He's in between the innocence of simpler words and the exploration of tween-hood. He calls his sneezes "bless yous" and mirror is still "meer-yer," but in nearly the same breath he might give me a smirk and a "really, mom?"



He's in between the picky stage and trying new things. Who is this kid asking for rice, broccoli, and cauliflower? It's as if, suddenly, trying new stuff is cool. He just gives this "no big deal" shrug and I am totally rolling with it.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

He's in between being a silly rambunctious boy and being a focused, push-himself-to-be-better performer. He started taking martial arts classes this summer (Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu) and he can go from getting called out for talking to getting called out for setting the standard in form. I watch him in awe sometimes at what he can do. What happened to my clumsy little preschooler? Oh, you know, just doing the splits all non-chalant like.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



I am trying to soak up every last ounce of these next few years before my little boy is too big to sit on my lap, too tall to be carried, or too old to give me a hug in front of his friends. Right now, in this in-between, I can begin to see a glimmer of the adult he might one day be, and he's pretty awesome. I just hope he doesn't get there too quickly!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments: