About Us

Friday, February 10, 2012

Gymnastics Dude

Before the holidays I started thinking about putting Evan in some kind of organized, after school, athletic activity. He'd reached the age where I felt like he could put some of that energy into something more productive than running around the house and using my bed as a trampoline. But I read somewhere that most kids aren't really ready for team sports until age 4 or so. It's enough for them to control their own actions, much less take into account what the team is doing. So maybe we'll look at tee ball this summer after he turns 4. (We'll see. The thought of giving him a potential weapon and projectile object may have its drawbacks.)

So that pretty much left us with dance or gymnastics. In our family, you really can't underestimate the importance of coordination and balance (reference: Evan's first stitches @ 18 months, and please excuse the baaaad photography). I don't know how or why, but Evan already seems to have developed a shyness about public dancing. You expect that sort of thing from a middle school kid, but someone who has no problem announcing (loudly) that he tooted in the grocery store? Not so much. In any case, he didn't hesitate when saying "no" when I asked if he wanted to take dance lessons.

Okay, gymnastics. Evan didn't know what it was, so I showed him some videos on Facebook of his second cousin, Justin, who competes in gymnastics, and some YouTube videos of other kids. He seemed intrigued enough to want to check it out. The place where he goes is fantastic, but I think he was a little overwhelmed on his first day. Parents aren't typically allowed in the gym with the kids but I had to stay with him for the first 15 minutes or so. These guys are pros though. They have older kids who help and one came over and befriended Evan. Now we're six weeks in and Evan asks every single day if we can go to gymnastics. I'd say that's a pretty good affirmation. I'm really impressed just watching him - he takes direction, follows along, watches the other kids, and adores his teacher.

Because of the "no parents in gym" rule I haven't gotten any pictures except on my iPhone through a window. This was his second week:

gymnastics week 2

I think he likes it.

They had class photos taken a couple of weeks ago. Really, could it be any cuter?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
(The gym name is blurred because there are other kids in this pic.)



1 comment:

Glinda said...

Love the class photos!

I'm so glad he's taken so well to his class. Our problem is our class was just a community type thing, and the parents ARE in the room, and Piper wouldn't go anywhere without me...unlike swim class where I sit far away & watch. She does SO much better without me there...so you have given me hope that maybe yet, Piper will be a gymnast. I just have to find some real classes.

Now, sorry for all the mass comment posting, I am catching up on my Google Reader. :P