About Us

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fireworks Meet Lightning

As part of my effort to re-focus this exploration of photography, I decided a few weeks ago I needed to take advantage of the opportunities right in front of me.  So, 4th of July weekend, I decided to give fireworks a try. 

These were all taken from my front yard, so I think next year I might try a different vantage point to anchor the shots differently.  But for a first try, I'm fairly happy with these.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



But the coolest shot was one I nearly deleted before I realized what was in it.  On the night of the 3rd, we got a pretty decent storm later on in the evening.  As the fireworks were going off, occasionally the sky would light up with lightning behind the clouds in the distance and turn the sky a deep blue.  I took this one as the fireworks were going up, and at exactly the point the lightning came down.  This was the one time I might regret having the biggest tree on our streeet! 

Fireworks, meet lightning.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm so jealous that you can see these from your front yard. I especially love the first shot, but the lightning shot is really cool.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that last shot is awesome! Nice capture!

Jen O. said...

I think the last one could be better with some different editing applied. I did very little to it except to crop. I left the houses in as an anchor, but they seem to distract me now.

Eris1995 said...

Crazy that you captured the lightning!