About Us

Monday, March 28, 2011

I Love COD

Well, now there's a title full of potential misunderstanding. Or not. This girl does like seafood (cod included) and who doesn't like cash on demand? But my reference to COD in the title isn't to either the edibles or the spendables. I'm referring to a company called Canvas on Demand. I heard about them through photography friends. Their product and service are lauded among pros and hobbyists alike. Add that kind of praise to their frequent Groupon offers and I couldn't pass up giving them a try. Once I'd ordered the 16x20 canvas Groupon they offered at the bargain basement price of $45, the hard part was deciding which picture to choose. Ultimately I narrowed my choice to four (all from the same day) then in my usual take charge, decision-making fashion....put the images up to a poll and let my friends decide.

I couldn't be more happy with the resulting product. I even contacted their customer service department after I placed the order just to have them check to make sure Evan's right arm wouldn't be limb-chopped by the gallery wrap. COD was fantastic. They assured me the canvas would be perfect, and they'd stretch the edge if necessary.

But what I really love about this image is the example it provides on how just a pinch of post-processing can really turn an image around.

This was the SOOC (straight out of the camera) image. Gotta' love the drab gray from auto white balance.

Do Not Copy


Here is the edited image: fixed WB, cropped to straighten, and cloned out the stick in front of his jacket.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

And here's the canvas. By the way, shooting canvas is tough. It looks wonderful to the naked eye though (which is why we have two huge canvases from Evan's pro first year shoot on our walls).

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I have a feeling more canvases will be popping up on our walls soon. I wonder if canvas will be like the shag carpet of the 70s? Ten years later, we're left wondering who thought that looked good? At least we don't have to rake a canvas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the processing. Gosh he is so adorable